Training and education for healthcare professions – primarily nursing — will comprise the first phase of Union Square Campus, with these initial key stakeholder/tenants: UNCG, NCA&T, GTCC, and Cone Health. By housing programs together, they can share lab space and equipment at significant cost savings.
Nursing education at Union Square Campus will engage students at every level: 2-year Associates Degree, RN to BSN and accelerated BSN programs, Doctor of Nursing Practice, and continuing education certificate programs.
A state-of-the-art healthcare simulation center will be a key component of the project.
A Collaboration to Meet Needs
Demand for Nurses
Nursing is one of the nation’s fastest-growing occupations.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects number of employed registered nurses (RN) will expand by 26%, or 712,000, from 2010 to 2020.
- North Carolina will need 30,978 new nurses over the next 10-15 years.
- By 2020 North Carolina’s elderly population will double, increasing the demand for highly skilled nurses
Demand for Space
The building meets an immediate space need for nursing programs that cannot be met in existing, on-campus facilities. It also eliminates duplication of facilities on different campuses.
Efficient Use of Resources
Cost reductions in the shared facility are significant:
- The collective cost of construction is much less than if individual partners pursued separate projects.
- Partners can share overhead costs.
- Private gap funds further reduce capital costs.
- The simulation center will be much higher level than any of the institutions could provide on their own.
In addition, the facility will be fully utilized by its multiple partners – 6 days per week, 12-14 hours per day.
A Collaboration to Develop our Workforce
The average wage for nurses at Cone Health is $28/hour. North Carolina RN salaries range from $54,000-80,000 per year, with a median of $68,000.
Union Square Campus will provide seamless academic progression so that nurses can achieve higher levels of education and training. For example: RN to BSN. Registered Nurses with an Associate Degree can return to school to earn a Bachelor Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN), increasingtheir job opportunities and earning potential. This four-year degree provides the knowledge base necessary for advanced education in specialized clinical practice, research, or primary health care. Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP). This advanced-practice degree launches for the first time in Greensboro. The DNP provides additional breadth and depth in evidence-based practice, quality and safely, and health systems. Two concentrations:
- Adult Gerontological Nurse Practitioner (AGNP). These specialists work in primary care practices, emergency rooms, outpatient departments, and clinic. The mean annual salary for a North Carolina nurse practitioner is $94,910 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2013).
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA). These nurses work in hospitals and surgery centers. In North Carolina, the mean annual salary in North Carolina is $158,840(Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2013).
A state-of-the-art simulation center will bring an unprecedented degree of realism to nursing education. Students practice essential skills on computer-operated yet life-like mannequins that simulate everything from mild symptoms to complex health problems to specialized scenarios that occur in real-life patients. The center will feature a “mini-hospital” setting including mock operating, ICU and labor/delivery rooms plus home health care simulation. This type of training provides a risk-free learning environment for students to demonstrate critical thinking and judgment skills without compromising the health and safety of human patients.
Multidisciplinary Team Training
The simulation center provides a significant opportunity for multidisciplinary health care teams (physicians, technicians, and nurses) to train together. Team training integrates the capabilities and communication skills of all practitioners, developing skill to enter complex settings.
Projected Student Enrollment
Program NC AT&T UNCG GTCC Cone Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) 100 RN to BSN / Enhanced BSN 85 50 Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) 232 Graduate Certificates 20 Radiography Technology 40 Staff Training 2800 Shared Simulation Center 105 282 140 2800